Are you a health professional in the Illawarra Shoalhaven with an interest in mental health and suicide prevention?
Apply for a funded placement at Recovery Camp!
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Suicide Prevention Collaborative is funding 10 local health professionals to attend Recovery Camp, an evidence-based program for health professionals and people with lived experience of mental illness.
Recovery Camp runs for 5 days/4 nights. The funded placements cover the full cost of the camp as well as reimbursement for your time.
How does it work?
Recovery Camp is a great professional development opportunity for health professionals to work directly with people experiencing a mental illness, in a holistic, recovery-oriented program. It is evidence-based and focuses on nurturing people’s strengths.
Chris, a University of Wollongong nursing student who attended the camp in 2018, said, "Throughout the camp I was challenged by my facilitator to communicate with volunteers, which improved my ability to connect with individuals with a lived experience of mental illness. This encouragement from my facilitator enabled me to develop my skills in empathetic listening."
During the program, health professionals, students and people with a mental illness spend a week together at an outdoor recreation camp. Attendees participate in structured activities that involve problem-solving and teamwork, such as orienteering, rock climbing, archery and high-ropes courses.
One person with a lived experience of mental illness said about last year's camp: "I learnt to fully trust without fear or judgement. I felt stronger leaving, I learnt to have faith, and on the last day I was able to be roped on to the giant swing … I felt I achieved something that day, and having everyone cheer me on, I have never felt so good about myself.”
The upcoming dates for Recovery Camps in NSW are:
9th - 13th December
20th – 24th January
11th – 15th May
27th – 31st July
14th – 18th December
Don’t miss out on this valuable learning experience!
If you’re a health professional working in the Illawarra Shoalhaven region, or managing a number of staff in the region, you can apply via Expression of Interest (EOI).
Simply submit your answers to the following questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What do you hope to gain from Recovery Camp?
- How do you expect this will benefit your workplace?
- How do you plan to champion a recovery-oriented approach in your workplace?
- Do you have support from your manager to attend?
For more information, go http://recoverycamp.com.au.
- Next Steps wins grant to explore gender differences in suicide prevention
- Invitation: an opportunity for substantial change!
- Working together to deliver quality community training
- Keeping well & staying connected amidst COVID-19 shutdown
- Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) program kicks off for 2020
- Article: Illawarra suicide prevention head Alex Hains says we all have a role to play
- Nominate someone you know for a LiFE Award today!
- Find support during the bushfires
- Find support for yourself and others during the holidays
- Services for people experiencing homelessness during the holidays
- Applications now open for Innovation Research Grants!
- Development of the NSW LGBTI Health Strategy
- Help us spread the word about suicide prevention
- Have you seen our new Evaluation video?
- Launch of the Collaborative's first Report Card
- Free local suicide prevention training
- Illawarra Mercury receives national media award for 'Care to QPR' campaign
- Join us for the Collaborative's R U OK? Day event!
- Funded placements are still available for health professionals to attend Recovery Camp!
- The power of people with lived experience working together