Are you a health professional in the Illawarra Shoalhaven with an interest in mental health and suicide prevention?
Apply for a funded placement at Recovery Camp!
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Suicide Prevention Collaborative is funding 10 local health professionals to attend Recovery Camp, an evidence-based program for health professionals and people with lived experience of mental illness.
Recovery Camp runs for 5 days/4 nights. The funded placements cover the full cost of the camp as well as reimbursement for your time.
How does it work?
Recovery Camp is a great professional development opportunity for health professionals to work directly with people experiencing a mental illness, in a holistic, recovery-oriented program. It is evidence-based and focuses on nurturing people’s strengths.
Chris, a University of Wollongong nursing student who attended the camp in 2018, said, "Throughout the camp I was challenged by my facilitator to communicate with volunteers, which improved my ability to connect with individuals with a lived experience of mental illness. This encouragement from my facilitator enabled me to develop my skills in empathetic listening."
During the program, health professionals, students and people with a mental illness spend a week together at an outdoor recreation camp. Attendees participate in structured activities that involve problem-solving and teamwork, such as orienteering, rock climbing, archery and high-ropes courses.
One person with a lived experience of mental illness said about last year's camp: "I learnt to fully trust without fear or judgement. I felt stronger leaving, I learnt to have faith, and on the last day I was able to be roped on to the giant swing … I felt I achieved something that day, and having everyone cheer me on, I have never felt so good about myself.”
The upcoming dates for Recovery Camps in NSW are:
9th - 13th December
20th – 24th January
11th – 15th May
27th – 31st July
14th – 18th December
Don’t miss out on this valuable learning experience!
If you’re a health professional working in the Illawarra Shoalhaven region, or managing a number of staff in the region, you can apply via Expression of Interest (EOI).
Simply submit your answers to the following questions via email to email@example.com.
- What do you hope to gain from Recovery Camp?
- How do you expect this will benefit your workplace?
- How do you plan to champion a recovery-oriented approach in your workplace?
- Do you have support from your manager to attend?
For more information, go http://recoverycamp.com.au.
- Voices of In-Sight workshop
- Suicide: there are services available to help those left behind
- Creating change through lived experience of suicide
- Loneliness is a universal yet deeply personal experience
- How conversations can make a difference
- Creating hope through action - World Suicide Prevention Day
- Safe Haven
- Open Letter: Responding to suicide in our community
- Where to go for local support over the Christmas period
- Locals bravely share their stories on video to help other people bereaved by suicide
- Australia’s first Suicide and Self-harm Monitoring System website launched
- ‘Chats for change’ are here for you!
- Push for better this October
- Join the virtual ‘Out of the Shadows’ walk!
- Local event planned to mark R U OK? Day
- Developing a local response to suicide prevention in Kiama and Gerringong
- Celebrating Wear It Purple Day for LGBTIQ+ young Australians!
- Next Steps wins grant to explore gender differences in suicide prevention
- Invitation: an opportunity for substantial change!
- Working together to deliver quality community training