Christmas can be a challenging time for some people. That's why it's important to check in with family and friends, and see how they're going.
Regional manager of the Illawarra Shoalhaven Suicide Prevention Collaborative, Dr Alex Hains, says that reaching out to a loved one could be as simple as a quick phone call.
"It’s really important that we all actively reach out to those who might feel lonely over the holiday period, even if it's just to let them know we’re thinking of them and hoping they’re well. That could make all the difference.”
Suicide rates in the Illawarra Shoalhaven region remain higher than the state average, with around 40 to 60 suicide deaths each year over the past decade, according to figures released by the Collaborative earlier this year.
If you see someone who is struggling, make sure you know what to do. Sign up for free Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) training here: www.suicidepreventioncollaborative.org.au/QPR
If you or someone you know needs support, see this list of helplines:
- Applications now open for Innovation Research Grants!
- Development of the NSW LGBTI Health Strategy
- Help us spread the word about suicide prevention
- Have you seen our new Evaluation video?
- Launch of the Collaborative's first Report Card
- Free local suicide prevention training
- Illawarra Mercury receives national media award for 'Care to QPR' campaign
- Join us for the Collaborative's R U OK? Day event!
- Funded placements are still available for health professionals to attend Recovery Camp!
- The power of people with lived experience working together
- Help us spread the word about help available in our region!
- Collaborative sums up successes with new Progress Report!
- Raising awareness for suicide prevention at ‘Battle of the Countries’
- The Productivity Commission has released an issues paper
- Tim Heffernan and Toni Garretty among new Deputy Commissioners for mental health
- Check in with family and friends during the festive season
- Young people donate to support local suicide prevention efforts
- Lend your voice to improve emergency and follow-up care for a suicidal crisis
- Illawarra Hawks join QPR campaign for suicide prevention
- A mo takes a month, QPR takes an hour