The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) and the National Mental Health Commission (NMHC) have launched a new website as part of Australia's first National Suicide and Self-harm Monitoring System. You can visit the website here: aihw.gov.au/suicide-self-harm-monitoring
Given that more than 3,000 people die from suicide in Australia every year, with over 65,000 suicide attempts, the website aims to increase access to information and promote a more informed understanding of suicide. It will be updated regularly with data from all states and territories across Australia. Critically, it will enable governments and support services to adequately track and respond to suicide and self-harm by:
- explaining the nature and extent of suicidal and self-harming behaviours
- improving the quality and breadth of data available to help identify trends, emerging areas of concern and to inform responses
- highlighting those at increased risk.
The website will also be helpful on a local level, supporting the Illawarra Shoalhaven Suicide Prevention Collaborative's contribution to the Towards Zero Suicides initiatives, which you can read about here.
Note: The Mindframe Guidelines for sensitive and appropriate reporting on suicide are an essential part of the new National Suicide and Self-Harm Monitoring System. You can read up on the Guidelines here.
- Australia’s first Suicide and Self-harm Monitoring System website launched
- ‘Chats for change’ are here for you!
- Push for better this October
- Join the virtual ‘Out of the Shadows’ walk!
- Local event planned to mark R U OK? Day
- Developing a local response to suicide prevention in Kiama and Gerringong
- Celebrating Wear It Purple Day for LGBTIQ+ young Australians!
- Next Steps wins grant to explore gender differences in suicide prevention
- Invitation: an opportunity for substantial change!
- Working together to deliver quality community training
- Keeping well & staying connected amidst COVID-19 shutdown
- Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) program kicks off for 2020
- Article: Illawarra suicide prevention head Alex Hains says we all have a role to play
- Nominate someone you know for a LiFE Award today!
- Find support during the bushfires
- Find support for yourself and others during the holidays
- Services for people experiencing homelessness during the holidays
- Applications now open for Innovation Research Grants!
- Development of the NSW LGBTI Health Strategy
- Help us spread the word about suicide prevention