- By Emma Ringland
- 18 December 2017
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Suicide Prevention Collaborative has released its first Progress Report, summing up a massive year in suicide prevention for the region.
The Collaborative took on the Black Dog Institute's LifeSpan project in 2017 - a new, evidence-based, integrated approach to suicide prevention. Through LifeSpan, the Collaborative has been working on implementing nine strategies with strong evidence for suicide prevention into one community-led approach.
This first Progress Report documents what has been achieved, highlights potential risks and takes stock of whether what the Collaborative are doing is working. It also provides people working in suicide prevention details on how their efforts fit within the 'bigger picture' of the Lifespan project.
Key highlights from the report include:
- by working together, three Collaborative member organisations have established a service that supports people after a suicide attempt, addressing a known gap in suicide prevention in our region
- general practices across the region are introducing universal mental health screening to their practices
- Year 9 students across the region will begin participating in the Youth Aware of Mental Health program, starting in Term 1 of 2018
- over 600 people have signed up to complete Question Persuade Refer (QPR) online training to learn how help prevent suicide
It has been a big year for the Collaborative and this is just the beginning. No doubt, 2018 will be even bigger!
- Collaborative sums up a big 2017 with the release of its first Progress Report!
- An exciting opportunity to help reduce suicide and promote mental health in young people
- Express your interest: Mental Health Screening and Support Package
- Fifth National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan released
- Resources to support LGBTI people during marriage equality debate
- We all have a role to play in suicide prevention!
- New approach to suicide prevention launched
- Three steps anyone can learn to help prevent suicide
- LifeSpan official launch - You're invited!
- Mindframe provides local media training
- ISLHD Community Mental Health Consumer Consultation
- ISLHD Community Mental Health (Adult) - Model of Care / Service Provider Consultation
- Lifespan survey - Share a voice to help out!
- Grand Pacific Health launch suicide prevention initiative
- Action urgently needed to stem rising youth mental illness
- Working groups established to focus on specific areas of suicide prevention
- Black Dog Institute representatives meet with Collaborative
- New approach to suicide prevention to be implemented
- Local organisations join forces to combat high rates of suicide